First Person Arts is a community. Our teams of staff and contractors represent a broad range of individuals whose talents and dedication make our work possible.
First Person Arts is a Philadelphia nonprofit organization that unleashes the power of voice by developing true personal stories from artists and everyday people for the page, stage, on-air and online. Our StorySlams, Applied Storytelling, and First Person Arts Festival programs reinforce our mission to “transform the drama of real-life into memoir and documentary art to foster an appreciation for our unique and shared experiences.” By sharing these stories we connect with each other and the world.
If you don’t see any positions open below which match your skills, check out opportunities to volunteer or intern with us as well!
Full-Time/ Part-Time: 1099 Contractor
Hourly/ Salary: Negotiable
Work Schedule: As Determined
Founded in 2000, First Person Arts (FPA) is a not-for-profit, 501 c 3 organization whose mission is to transform the drama of real-life into memoir and documentary art to foster appreciation (among people) for their unique and shared experiences. Through our programming, we give a stage to artists and those who do not consider themselves to be artists in order to honor and amplify their lived experiences. We also work with individuals to help them develop their true, personal stories for the stage, page, on-air, online and for personal growth through live and online events, podcasts and customized storytelling activities designed to improve outcomes and build community. For more information, go to www.FirstPersonArts.org.
The Grant Writer creates compelling solicitations on behalf of the organization to prospective and existing foundations, corporations and government donors by producing all materials related to the grant application. From developing our annual solicitation schedule, writing proposals and reports, to collecting data, budgets, and all relevant documents from a variety of departments. The Grant Writer reports to the Development Director or Executive Director.
● Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years previous experience as a grant writer in a not-for-profit organization.
● Commitment to First Person Arts’ mission.
● Excellent writing ability that is clear, concise and analytic in style.
● Ability to write for various audiences including foundations, donors, and broader general constituencies.
● Comfortable with data management and administration. Knowledge of Tessitura preferred.
● Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
● Responsible for researching, writing, compiling, and managing the timeline of all grants including maintenance and oversight of workflow processes and procedures to ensure accurate and efficient collection and timely submission.
● Write grant applications and all reports and conduct prospect research on new opportunities that align with FPAs’ mission. Grant writing will be primarily to foundations and government applications, but corporate giving and sponsorship applications will also be required.
● Work with all departments to collect and synthesize data. Oversees grant workflow processes related to data entry to ensure adequate internal controls and that all grants reporting of data is accurate.
● Work closely with members of the FPA team to respond to requests for special reports, collaterals, and non-grant materials with a strategic perspective.
Please submit CV and cover letter with answers to the following questions:
Full Charge Bookkeeper
REPORTING TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
STATUS: 30-35 hours per week
LOCATION: Remote position
START DATE: Summer 2021
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED: Until position filled
- Create and present financial reports to the Finance Committee for analysis
- Develop budget and reporting for grants
- Record financial transactions and bank and account reconciliations
- Review financial transactions for accuracy
- Input transactions into the correct ledger
- Reconcile bank and other accounts
- Pay vendors as they come due
- Manage accounts receivable
- Complete required tax forms
- Make deposits and record all cash receipts
- Manage the office petty cash fund
- Process company payroll
- Liaise with the finance committee. Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Assist with annual budgeting process in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board finance committee
- Document standard operating procedures of this role
- Maintain employee benefit trackers
Operations and Administration
Document standard operating procedures of this role
Maintain employee benefit trackers
Associate’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience, as well as a knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles. Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of the Quickbooks accounting software package and experience in arts & culture or media
The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; Must have a working knowledge of Quickbooks and Tessitura (preferred but not required)
This Position Is Not Right For You If You Are…
If you are don’t value the true personal experiences of others and don’t believe that by honoring them, we improve business outcomes.
Someone who wants to be an entrepreneur and run their own business. All our team members are “intrapreneurs.” You’ll have the freedom and flexibility to love what you do and be the best at your role, but if you want to run your own company in the near future then we are not for you.
Someone looking for a 9 to 5, Monday to Friday job. This is not for someone who lives for the weekends and hates Mondays. We’re a mission-driven company who, at the core, is about changing the lives and businesses of everyone who comes into contact with our company. Sometimes you might have to work late, sometimes you may have to work a Saturday, sometimes you’ll get the afternoon off. If we have a project and work needs to get done, then we’re all hands on deck. If this doesn’t sound exciting, then this role and our organization is not for you.
Someone who has a lot going on already and doesn’t have the time and focus to really dive in.
Commitment to best practices in human resources activities
A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of First Person Arts
This Role Is Perfect For You If You…
Love a challenge and are resourceful when it comes to figuring things out and making them happen.
Can work alone and don’t need your hand held every step of the way.
Have great attention to detail and can pull multiple pieces of a puzzle together (team and tasks).
Have exceptional communication skills when it comes to dealing with team members and customers.
Know how to delegate tasks even if you could do them yourself.
Have a can-do attitude. “That’s not in my job description” is a line we never use.
Embrace every part of the business with energy and passion.
Are super organized but can move quickly to ensure things get done effectively and efficiently.
Are technology savvy.
ABOUT FIRST PERSON ARTS
Founded in 2000, First Person Arts helps people develop their true personal stories for the stage, page, on-air, online and for personal growth. Our principal programs include: Live streaming, podcasted open-mic and curated story shows, the only festival of its kind to feature true personal stories told across multiple disciplines and platforms and Applied Storytelling – customized storytelling activities (individual and group experiences) that apply the artform in traditional arts/cultural and non-traditional spaces collaboratively to achieve innovative goals and objectives.
Our vision is to be a platform for artists and everyday people to share the compelling personal stories they must tell now. We will listen to the issues that matter to them and lift up their voices through our programs.
Everyone has a story to tell, and sharing our stories connects us with each other and the world. Embedded in this core belief is our organizational commitment to diversity and equality as vital to our practice. In fact we find that voices that too often go unheard are most potent.
First Person Arts is an equal opportunity employer
SEND RESUME TO: MPRELL@FIRSTPERSONARTS.ORG No phone calls, please.